Technology at Alturas
At Alturas Elementary, we use various technological devices to deliver classroom instruction and to enhance the learning process. Our teachers and staff have been trained to implement these devices according to the Polk County School Board’s policies and procedures to fully maximize the effectiveness of each device. These devices include:
- E-Learning Devices
- Laptop Computers
- Interactive Smartboards
- LCD Projectors
- Lightspeed Voice Enhancement System
- Document Cameras
- Mobile Device Carts
- Science Laptops
Charles Pemberton, Jr. – Principal
Shelly Reinacher – Assistant Principal
Brian Chance – Network Manager
Terry Stinson – Media Specialist
Michelle Gibson – Technology Coach
Carla Murphy – Technology Coach
Technology Mission Statement
To engage all teachers, students and administrators in the effective and proper use of technology to successfully achieve the academic standards set forth in the School Improvement Plan.
Alturas Elementary Technology Plan
The technology plan will be implemented throughout the course of the 2020 – 2021 school year. The administration and Network Manager will oversee all Professional Development sessions accordingly.
This is a list of all current technological equipment used in Instructional classrooms and other areas within the school:
- Laptop Computers for all Instructional staff and Administration
- Desktop computers for Office and Support staff
- Mobile Laptop Cart #1 (25 laptops)
- Mobile Laptop Cart #2 (25 laptops)
- Mobile Laptop Cart #3 (25 laptops)
- Mobile Laptop Cart #4 (25 laptops)
- Netbooks (25)
- iPad Carts (135 iPads)
- Smart Boards/LCD Projectors
- Lightspeed Sound Enhancement Systems
- Laserjet Printers
- Document Cameras
- Wireless Access point (WAP) throughout the facility to promote a seamless wireless connection for staff laptops. New profiles for Staff, Students, and guests.
- Enhanced data delivery via new switches and cabling (CAT 6)
- Security Cameras
- Teachers use Smartboards, Lightspeed, and document cameras as an effective Instructional delivery method.
- Mobile Laptop Carts and iPad carts are utilized as an effective method of enhancing instruction in the classroom.
- Teachers consistently using online resources provided by the district to enhance the learning process.
- Staff utilizes Microsoft 365 as an effective way to share information across a wide area network (WAN). This will enable staff to access critical information on and off-campus.
- Provide E-Learning students with laptops and iPads, as necessary.
- Provide E-Teachers with the necessary technology equipment so they can effectively teach E-Learners.
- Schoology will be the Instructional platform for teachers and students.
- Provide technology support via email, phone calls, and in-person assistance.
- Discuss a plan to replace aging laptops
- Discuss a plan to replace aging printers.
- More digital devices will be necessary for the growing population of students.
Continued School-Wide Professional Development
- Develop and implement a program for students to acquire the basic skills necessary to navigate proficiently. Students will need to develop keyboarding skills.
- Staff members to become better familiar with district applications such as Classlink, FOCUS, SAP, OFFICE 365, and Schoology
- Teachers to venture “outside the box” and use new concepts and ideas on Smart Notebook 18 software. Utilizing the Lesson Toolkit and the Gallery section.
- Teachers to familiarize themselves with the online resources.
- To continue to use all the technology available to them, not out of obligation, but rather to enhance their teaching methods and therefore enhance the student’s learning process.
- To continue to work with District Personnel on future Professional Development opportunities.
- Network Manager, Technology Coaches and Administration will continue to work with staff on technology needs, Professional Development and assist teachers in their personal growth in the use of 21st-century technology.
Additional Professional Development
- Training teachers to utilize “Sharepoint”, a cloud-based program that allows staff members to access important, secure documents across a wide area network.
- Continued training on Schoology